5 hours ago
This is my current Pennine Way Companion collection, and there are 12 in total. If you are really picky, you could say you need 14........and yes I am really picky, so the other 2 will be along next week :)
Again, these are all in as new condition. This makes them harder to acquire. I love a challenge and sourcing them all can take me years. I consider all my collection - work in progress.
In order from left to right (apart from the clothbound book which I placed at the end, so it looked better for the photo). 1) First Edition
2) Early 70's edition when the board colours were random. This example has yellow boards.
3) During the mid 70's, all boards used green rexine, but retained the gold gilt on the front boards.
4) Not for long though. To save a few pennies, the gilt was removed from the front board and was only found on the spine (see the book lying down). 5) During the late 80's the book printing was done by Titus Wilson, although still published by the Westmorland Gazette.
6) In 1992, Michael Joseph took over as publisher, and this was their first offering of the book.
7) In 1994, the book was revised.
8) In 1997, the book featured more changes.
9) 2004 saw Frances Lincoln publish the book. It was printed in Thailand. This is the 'chunkiest' book to date (a high gsm). 10) The same book was printed yet again in Thailand. This time the book was much thinner. It also received a price increase.
11) In 2009, the clothbound version was printed as part of a reader's edition box set.
12) In 2012, Chris Jesty's second edition was published. There is only one revision of this book and is the latest version of the Pennine Way Companion.
#alfredwainwright #lakedistrict #lakeland #kendal #pennineway